Thursday, August 13, 2009

Chemo: Day 1

Well, today was long but it went very well. They started Nick on fluids at around 10 a.m. and about an hour later, started Avastin and some other stuff.

It seemed like he had a bit of a reaction to the Avastin - just a hot sensation in his abdomen so they gave him some IV Benadryl. He fell asleep almost instantly - makes me want to pull a Michael Jackson and do some IV Benadryl at bedtime every night!

Anyway, the chemo started around noon and there have been no side effects so far. There's a "nutrition room" full of not-all-that-nutritious food so Nick and I both ate our way through the afternoon. So far so good on the appetite front.

Nick is wearing his pump now and he'll go in on Saturday to have it disconnected.
We didn't get many exciting pics - we'll try to do better next time (Sally).


Not much else to add. The Chemo drugs made me only slightly tired and sick feeling, which is what they said I should expect for the initial treatments. Because the treatment is cumulative, they told me that I would probably feel worse the more treatments I get. I guess that it is good to ease into it. Other than that, I am looking forward to kickin it with Josh this weekend and seeing pictures of the Mochs and Lorentz's trip to Europe. Do I know how to party or what. Hasta (Dom).












2 comments:

  1. Hi Sally and Nick!
    Just a quick note to say hello and that it's great to know that you've created a place for your supporters to get updates! I'm sending prayers, good thoughts and positive energy your way.
    I love your sense of humor and optimism!

    Love,
    Melinda Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made the mistake of enlarging the picture of your port site and got assaulted by your LONG nipple hairs.

    ReplyDelete