Monday, September 6, 2010

C is for Cancer, D is for Dogs

Hey Folks,

I'm back again with an update on my latest efforts. Well, unfortunately the results of my latest PET scan came back positive for cancer in the liver. So it looks like, I'll be back on treatment in some combination of chemo and possibly a laproscopic radio frequency ablation (RFA) procedure. A laproscopic RFA is basically when the doc makes a small incision and inserts a probe directly to the cancer spot on the liver and tries to burn it to death. Now, I will find out soon whether or not this is in the cards, but hopefully whatever happens will happen soon. After spending the summer abroad and gearing up for the start of the school year, I am kind of ready to put this treatment stuff behind me and get started with my life again. Wishful thinking I suppose.

But it is not as though my life has been completely postponed. I was lucky to have some visitors at my home here in Seattle this past week. Jevan and Casey stopped by for a couple days and a night, before heading up to Vancouver. We got to see the premiere of Volcom's latest snowboard video and hob knob with a couple industry people as Jevan is working hard to get his latest venture with Homeschool snowboarding started. Basically, it is a Portland start up that produces snowboard and skiing outerwear. The company's founder, Danny, is cool cat from the islands of Hawaii, who has a great design aesthetic and an ideal of bringing snowboarding back to its roots before it became the honey pot of large corporations.

It was great to have them here because they brought their dog, Winston, with them. Winston is just a few months younger than Pirate and is some sort of Great Dane, possibly lab mix. Both he and Pirate became instant buds. While Jevan and Casey went to Vancouver, Winston and Pirate had the run of the house with me for the weekend. Here are some pics of our trips to the park.

4 comments:

  1. Did mom make it up? How was the visit with her?

    ReplyDelete
  2. man looks like Winston has a serious case of the snuggles. thanks for taking care of the dude.

    ReplyDelete
  3. F-ing S*@# was my first response when I read your post. Sorry that you have to get back on the chemo train and start again. I did cheer up when I heard you got to do cool things with the snowboard people of the industry. Very cool indeed!

    My Dad had the RFA done about 6 months ago and was easier for him than a round of chemo. I am sure they will be able to get those little buggers. He did have a Microwave Ablation done recently to get some other stragglers and that was much harder of a procedure/recovery for him. We are hoping to do the SIRT-radiation beads to the liver done soon. Take care, I wish you the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry to hear about your cancer returning. It's good to see that you're positive and enjoying life, especially your trip to Europe/Paris which sounded fantastic! It's easy to get down, I know only through my hubs experience who was diagnosed with cancer of the small intestine. Since it's rare they treat it like colon cancer and he just ended his 6 months of folfox. At the end of the month he has a pet scan to see if the chemo did it's job. Keep positive and much luck to you on your upcoming procedure.

    ReplyDelete